A Guide to Online Etiquette / Netiquette
VU Collaborate provides a learning environment where positive and constructive feedback is greatly valued and where inappropriate behaviours and language will be penalised.
It is important to use netiquette because communication online is non-verbal. Online communication does not allow a person to see facial expressions, body language, or hear intonation. Because of this, messages can often be misinterpreted. By the following netiquette, online communication becomes clearer.
This guide covers the following topics, use these links for easier navigation:
1. Remember that constructive feedback is not about giving unwarranted criticism; it is about helping to improve or further develop ideas and actions.
2. Acknowledge other people's contributions - recognise the hard work of other students and encourage each other.
3. Read and respond carefully with respectful and polite language.
4. Questions can be helpful to everyone so ask them; just remember, be clear and respectful.
5. Be mindful of how culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds can impact the way people communicate.
6. Following netiquette will help you to maintain and establish positive online relationships as well as develop a positive online reputation.
Victoria University is adopting guidelines which all students should adhere to:
- Always use your real name or your name as specified at enrolment.
- Ensure that your webcam clearly displays your face throughout the class unless directed otherwise by your teacher.
If this is not possible, set your Zoom profile picture to a recent photograph of a similar format to your student ID or a passport photo.
- Do not share or distribute Zoom class links or passwords to any other person
- Adhere to the important aspects to consider and Youth Central, regarding behaviour and dress code.
Watch the video below for more information.
Click on Web and Social Safety to explore further topics:
- Cyber Safety
- Cyber Bullying
- It's There For Life
- The Web Doesn't Forget
- Think Before You Post
- Never Send Private Photos
- Don't Argue in Cyber Space
- Friends: Quality v's Quantity
- Online Shopping
- Spam and Scams