Using Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) locks down your browser so you can't print, copy, use other applications, or search the internet while taking a Test or Quiz.
This guide shows how to download and use Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) to take a test or quiz.
On this page:
- Download & Install
- Taking a Test or Quiz
Please watch the short introduction video:
You can access Respondus LockDown Browser downloads either via (a) Quizzes in the Student Induction space or (b) directly from the Respondus website.
Option 1: Access Respondus downloads via quizzes in VU Collaborate
1. Go to the Student Induction space.
2. On the navbar, select Assessments, then Quizzes.
3. From the Quiz List select the quiz that Requires Respondus LockDown Browser.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Download Respondus LockDown Browser.
Or, Option 2: Access Respondus downloads directly from Respondus website
Download and Install Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB)
1. Review information, then when ready select Install Now.
2. When the download is complete, double click the installer and follow prompts to complete installation of RLDB on your computer.
1. In your unit space on the navbar, select Assessments, then Quizzes.
2. From the Quiz List select the quiz that Requires Respondus LockDown Browser.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Launch LockDown Browser.
4. If you haven't closed all other programs, you will be asked to close them.
5. If you haven't yet downloaded Respondus, you will see the alert message "LockDown Browser is not installed".
You will need to download and install LockDown Browser before being able to access the quiz.
6. Taking a quiz on an iPad?
Taking a quiz on an iPad is only possible if the option is enabled by your teacher for that specific quiz.
7. LockDown browser will be launched, and the quiz will be displayed. See Taking a quiz, to learn how to take and submit the quiz.
If any technical issue occurs, you may need to close the browser and restart the quiz.
1.a For Windows computers: Click the Information icon.
For Mac computers
1.b Click the Globe icon
2. The teacher will then enter a password and close the LockDown Browser for you.
3. The quiz can then be restarted and continued from where it was last saved.
You can only take a Test or Quiz on an iPad, if your teacher has said you can do so. If you are uncertain, please ask your teacher.
See, Instructions for students - Can an iPad be used to take a LockDown Browser exam? for more information.