VU Collaborate is a learning management system that enables students to access course material online. There are a number of learning tools within the system that course content is contained in. This topic provides some basic advice for people who navigate VU Collaborate using a keyboard or assistive technologies that emulate a keyboard.
This guide covers the following topics, use these links for easier navigation:
1. Use the Tab key on the keyboard to navigate the options on a page.
2. Use Shift + Tab to return to a previous option. VU Collaborate highlights page elements that you can interact with (such as links, fields and buttons) as you tab through them, to make it easier for you to complete tasks and select options.
3. Press the Enter or Return key to select a link or button on a page.
4. Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow keys to navigate drop-down lists that have an Apply or Go button beside them.
5. Use Alt + Down Arrow keys on (Windows and Linux) to open drop-down lists that do not have an Apply or Go button.
5. Use Option + Down Arrow keys on (Mac) to open drop-down lists that do not have an Apply or Go button.
6. Use the Down Arrow, Up Arrow and Enter keys to select an item in the drop-down.
7. Use the Enter or Return key to open a menu (such as a context menu, an alert or the course selector).
8. Use the Tab key and Enter key to select a link.
9. Use the Space Bar to select a checkbox or radio button option.
10. Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow to change a radio button option.
Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate access key shortcuts:
1. For Internet Explorer 8+: use Alt + [accesskey] on (Windows/Linux)
2. For Internet Explorer 8+: use Control + [accesskey] on (Mac)
3. For Firefox: use Alt + Shift + [accesskey] on (Windows/Linux)
4. For Firefox: use Control + [accesskey] on (Mac)
5.For Chrome: Use Alt + [accesskey] on (Windows/Linux)
6. For Chrome: Control + Option + [accesskey] on (Mac)
7. For Safari 4+: use Alt + [accesskey] on (Windows/Linux)
8. For Safari 4+: use Control + Option + [accesskey] on (Mac)
1. Use Shift + Tab keys to navigate through the options in the HTML Editor.
2. Use the Shift + Arrow Keys to highlight content in the main content area of the editor.
3. Use the Shift + Alt + Q keys to jump to the top tool menu of the editor.
4. Use the Shift + Alt + Z keys to jump to the main content area of the editor.
5. Use the Shift + Alt + X keys to jump to the element path for the editor.
If you're a VU student with a disability or medical condition that impacts your studies, and you are having difficulty using VU Collaborate to complete your course work, Accessibility Services can support you.
By working with one of our Accessibility Liaison Officers (ALOs), you can access a range of:
- support services and resources
- adjustments for study and assessment.
- help with learning new technologies
- seek special accommodations
- organise tutoring and other support
Access the disability and accessibility support page on the VU website - here.