Accessing a Zoom Virtual Classroom
Zoom Virtual Classrooms allow students who are not able to be physically present in class to attend the session online. There are three ways of accessing your zoom virtual classroom, with both common steps and differences for each. Accessing the zoom virtual classroom varies dependent on how your educator has set up your classroom.
On this page:
- Access Zoom Classroom from Communication
- Open a Zoom Classroom via an Email link
- Open a Zoom Classroom via the Calendar
Access Zoom Classroom
1. In your VU Collaborate unit space from the navbar, select Communication (1), then Zoom Classroom (2).
2. From the list of scheduled zoom meetings, select Join (3), to launch your virtual classroom.
Once you have accessed the zoom virtual classroom, see Participating in a Zoom Virtual Classroom for assistance with navigating Zoom.
Odd Meeting Times? Check your timezone
If your zoom class session times appear to be different from your scheduled classes, check your current timezone settings (1) below the zoom heading.
If the timezone is incorrect, select the pencil icon (2) to edit.
In the pop-up window, select (GMT +10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (1) time zone, then update (2).
Open Zoom Meetings
Once Join has been selected, a new internet tab will open asking you to Open Zoom Meetings?
First time using Zoom on your Computer?
Download and Run Zoom
If this is the first time you have run zoom on your computer you will need to download and run Zoom.
- If this is your first time opening the application (or using zoom on your computer), press the Cancel (1) button.
- If you have already installed zoom skip to Open Zoom Meeting.
4. Once cancelled, move your cursor over to the link on the bottom right of the page which states, download & run Zoom and select it.
5. The installer will be downloaded automatically, or you will be prompted to save to a selected location.
6. Once the download is complete, select from the bottom left-hand side of the browser window, or your sved location.
If the installer application is not shown exactly as above, it’s okay. This means it has been saved onto your desktop screen as you selected to save it there in step 3, or any other chosen place. If you saved the installer on your desktop screen, go to your desktop page and double select the installer to begin the installation.
If you are not sure where you saved the installer and you can’t find it, type Zoom on your computers search bar and it should show you the installer application.
7. Once the installer has been selected, the installer application will start to install as seen below.
8. Once the installer has installed Zoom onto your computer, your classroom meeting will open automatically if there is a current session at the time of installation.
If you decided to download & install Zoom while there are no sessions occurring, your session will not open as shown below.
9. Once your session has ended or you are finished installing Zoom, the application should now be stored on your computer device. You will find the application on your desktop screen or by searching your computer with its search bar.
If no shortcut has been created, you can create one by going to your search bar, type Zoom (1), right-click the Zoom app (2) and select either Pin to Start (3) or Pin to taskbar.
Once pinned, Zoom is now installed completely.
As this is your first time using Zoom, you must access victoriauniversity.zoom.us to configure your account. Please select log-in on this page. Follow the guide Participating in a Zoom Virtual Classroom to see the following steps.
10. Select the Open Zoom Meetings (1) button.
1. Select Test speaker and microphone (1).
Make sure the sound and microphone are active on your PC or laptop.
2. Listen to the ringtone. When you hear the ringtone, select Yes (2).
3. You will then be prompted to speak and pause, if you hear the replay then confirm by selecting Yes (3).
Once you have completed the test, select end test (4).
4. You are now ready to join the Zoom Classroom, select Join with Computer Audio (1).
1. Locate the Zoom invitation email that was sent to your Victoria University email address by your academic.
2. Select the link under the heading Join Zoom Meeting.
3. See Open Zoom Meetings to continue.
1. On the unit space home, scroll down to locate the calendar on the right-hand side.
2. Expand the calendar (1) to see all events, or in the upcoming events, select the zoom session (2).
3. As seen down below, a dialogue box will appear, allowing you to enter the virtual classroom, select Click here to join Zoom Meeting: XXXXXXXX.
4. Once you have selected the above link, you will be prompted to enter the virtual classroom.
5. See Open Zoom Meetings to continue.
Once you have accessed the zoom virtual classroom, please use the following link to the Student Help Guide Participating in a Zoom Virtual Classroom for further assistance with navigating Zoom.